The Midwestern Robotics Design Competition (MRDC) is an annual robotics competition at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) where engineering students from around the country design and build robots to compete in a game. Each year, a new game objective is created that tests the skills of the teams in creative design and functionality. Teams spend nearly a year designing and constructing their robot for the event, after which students from universities nationwide travel to the UIUC Engineering Open House in March to compete in the 2,000 sq ft arena for the exciting two-day event. MRDC is a popular event that attracts thousands of spectators to take in the action each day. The Midwestern Robotics Design Competition is made possible by the hard work from the MRDC Committee at UIUC.
As the official MRDC website describes, “The competition promotes engineering disciplines and offers students a chance to demonstrate their technical abilities and creativity while applying knowledge learned in engineering courses. Overall, the design competition presents a well-rounded multi-disciplinary engineering challenge to future engineers.” [Wikipedia]
iRobotics has four active MRDC teams. Follow the links below to learn more about a specific team.
- Active Teams
- Inactive Teams
Latest MRDC Posts
- MaizeRunner – Fall 2020 Update
- MGS MRDC Robot Walkthrough (In-Depth)
- MaizeRunner Member Experience
- Freshmen MRDC Experience
- Maize Runner – Moving Forward for Next Year
- MRDC Robot Walkthrough (Overview)
- Creating a Simulation of Arena with Gazebo (Part Three of Three)
- Congratulations to our 2020/2021 Executive Board and Committee!
- Creating a Simulation of Arena with Gazebo (Part Two of Three)
- Creating a Simulation of Arena using Gazebo (Part One of Three)